“Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?” asked Alice. “That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” replied the Cat. “I don’t much care where–” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat. – Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland.
First you must get clarity about what you want and why you want it. Without a clear direction, it’s all too easy to drift through life, like a ship without a rudder.
Definite chief aim looks something like that.
My Definite Chief Aim
I, Bruce Lee, will be the first highest paid Oriental super star in the United States. In return I will give the most exciting performances and render the best of quality in the capacity of an actor. Starting 1970 I will achieve world fame and from then onward till the end of 1980 I will have in my possession $10,000,000. I will live the way I please and achieve inner harmony and happiness.
The term, Definite Chief Aim, comes from the success philosophy of Napoleon Hill – especially his landmark books, The Law of Success (1928) and Think and Grow Rich (1937).
Once you have clarity about what you want and why you want it, you’re ready to follow these steps to attain your Definite Chief Aim:
1) Write a Clear Description of your Definite Chief Aim. Years ago, before Arnold Schwarzenegger had made his mark on Hollywood, he stated his Definite Chief Aim: “I am going to be the number-one box-office star in all of Hollywood.”
Explaining how he intended to accomplish this feat, he said:“What you do is create a vision of who you want to be, and then live into that picture as if it were already true.” In 1991, receipts from Terminator II confirmed Schwarzenegger to be the most popular box office draw in the world, thus successfully accomplishing his Definite Chief Aim.
2) Include a Clear Statement of What You Intend to Give in Return. As I’m sure you agree, there’s no such thing as something for nothing. To get what you want, it’s important to decide what you will give in return. Oprah’s Definite Chief Aim has been to make a positive difference in the lives of millions of people. “As far back as I can recall,” she says, “my prayer has been the same: Use me, God. Show me how to take who I am, who I want to be, and what I can do, and use it for a purpose greater than myself.”
3) Believe You Can and Will Attain Your Definite Chief Aim. What you attain is limited only by your capacity to believe you can have it. To believe you can have what you want, keep thinking thoughts of having what you want. Magnetize your mind with positive affirmations. Visualize, imagine and feel yourself already in possession of your desire. In 1987, Jim Carrey was a struggling comic and part-time dishwasher, dreaming of fame and fortune. In addition to affirmations and visualizations, he wrote himself a check for $10 million and dated it Thanksgiving 1995, adding the notation “for acting services rendered.” In the Fall of 1995, he did in fact reach his Definite Chief Aim when he signed a $10 million contract to film “The Mask.”
4) Take Inspired Action. When you listen to your inner voice and follow the guidance you receive, you are truly co-creating with Source. Your intuition will lead you step by step in the direction of your Definite Chief Aim.
5) Persevere. To accomplish your Definite Chief Aim, you must stay the course. If your Definite Chief Aim is based on a burning desire for its achievement, you will be able to persevere through doubts and difficulties. Thomas Edison had a Definite Chief Aim to create the electric light bulb. He persevered through 10,000 failed attempts before successfully realizing his dream.
First thing you need to do, is come up with a Definite Chief Aim or a Primary Goal in Life. This is something that all the actions you take will lead to. Just like they say it’s hard to serve two masters, the same goes for goals and dreams. We all have multiple dreams and goals, but your mind cannot focus on all of them at the same time.
Vitalize and thoroughly saturate your mind with your Definite Chief Aim. Concentrate on the end result as you see and feel and believe yourself already in possession of it. Your Definite Chief Aim is a blueprint that will lead you, step by step, toward its attainment. It’s a bridge between your dream and your reality.